Fuel filter

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Dreg

Post by Dreg »

Cheapest place (online) to buy both filters for an 86?
bower100

Post by bower100 »

Ok, ... I got to thinking .... I have a 1988, but mayby Ford altered the fuel pump and fuel filter set-ups mid-year.

So, I rechecked what I had.

I have a galvanized steel fuel filte canister hose clamped to the frame very close to the motor mount. What I used to think was a second fuel pump... a bit further back... even with the driver door evidently is a second ful filter. It's a black plastic shell ...has no wiring going into it... looks like it might come apart and hold a cartridge inset filter.

bones101,
is your second filter like I described?

If so, I've never changed it .... prolly never has. Might be due. :D

dave
Shemoves

Post by Shemoves »

I think I found the fuel filter...next to the transfer case, along the inside frame rail. It has kind of a 'half-housing' that I can't get out. Is there a trick to removing the filter and/or housing?
'87 Bronco II EB
bower100

Post by bower100 »

Correction:
I must be blind .... I now see my 1988 has two fuel pumps and two fuel filters. The first filter, second fuelpump and second filter all are within three feet of each other on the frame rail near the driverside door. The first filter being the black plastic housing with a cartridge inside.

Does the black plastic housing unscrew sorta like a oil filter or is it like a 90* twist-lock type deal? ( Don't see any reason to unbolt it from the frame).

Thanks, Dave
Cruff

Post by Cruff »

bower100 wrote:Correction:
I must be blind .... I now see my 1988 has two fuel pumps and two fuel filters. The first filter, second fuelpump and second filter all are within three feet of each other on the frame rail near the driverside door. The first filter being the black plastic housing with a cartridge inside.

Does the black plastic housing unscrew sorta like a oil filter or is it like a 90* twist-lock type deal? ( Don't see any reason to unbolt it from the frame).

Thanks, Dave
the one with the black housing is not a fuel filter!!!!!! that is a fuel resivour, since you have 2 fuel pumps that device keeps you from getting a vapor lock and locking up your engine!!!!! I had to replace my due to leaking and they cost $50 at the ford place. Only place I know of you can order them. It does not have any type of filter in it.
bower100

Post by bower100 »

Really ! I see it has two fuel lines coming into it from the gastank and two going forward towards the 2nd fuel pump. Everybody's saying the '88 has two filters, I just assumed thats it. (Certainly big enough to hold a cartridge).

Soooo , .... where's the second filter? There's a metal guard plate covering most of the fuelpump so it's out of view pretty much. Is the fuel filter right on it ?

Hold on now. ... The fuelpump in the gastank has a screen on the suction pick-up tube feeding the pump. You guys aren't thinking of that as the first fuel filter, huh?
Cruff

Post by Cruff »

bower100 wrote:Really ! I see it has two fuel lines coming into it from the gastank and two going forward towards the 2nd fuel pump. Everybody's saying the '88 has two filters, I just assumed thats it. (Certainly big enough to hold a cartridge).

Soooo , .... where's the second filter? There's a metal guard plate covering most of the fuelpump so it's out of view pretty much. Is the fuel filter right on it ?

Hold on now. ... The fuelpump in the gastank has a screen on the suction pick-up tube feeding the pump. You guys aren't thinking of that as the first fuel filter, huh?
Yep I thought at first it was a filter, but it is not. I tried and tried to get that unscrewed. The ford place said it was a resivour, keeps it from vapor locking, Yes if you see more than one line running in it that is what we are talking about.

the fuel pump that is on the frame does NOT have a filter infront of it. It has a straight line from the resivour to the pump.....

I honestly don't know what they are talking about a second filter. I have crawled and crawled under mine and I can not find it.

They maybe calling the screen that is on the pump inside the tank the first filter, i'm not fore sure.

From the tank you have a screen attached to the pump then the gas goes in the pump to the resivour, then the pump on the rail sucks the gas out of the resivour, if there is too much gas in the resivour the extra gas will head back to the tank, call a return, then the gas from the rail pump will send it to the filter, then to the pressure regulator, if to much pressure, the extra gas will then be sent back to the resivour to be sent back up from the inline pump or the return gas line to the tank....

this is the way I understand it, I have replaced most of my lines and could only count one main filter. At Advanced autoparts they only show one type of filter on the books....

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList ... uel+Filter

I have the same bronco II 1988 2.9