Fuel filter

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
jtrask

Fuel filter

Post by jtrask »

Where is the fuel filter located on an 86 2.9? Haynes has the directions for changing it, but I can't figure out where it is.

Thanks!
Jan
Jan Trask
LarryA

Post by LarryA »

Fuel injected engines have it along the inside of the frame on the drivers side. don't forget to relieve the pressure and you probably need the special tools to take the lines off the filter (available at most auto parts places; pretty cheap).
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

He is right about the drivers side inside frame rail. It should be right under the drivers seat along the frame. make sure you do release the pressure. It will spray all over you and underside of the truck if you do not.
jtrask

Post by jtrask »

ok, thanks. how do you relieve the pressure?
Jan Trask
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

if you have a chilton or haynes manual it tells you. Its something like disconnect the fuse for the fuel pump and turn over the engine to relieve pressure. I may be wrong, but its something like that.
desrt_rat

Post by desrt_rat »

be sure and do that step, i skipped it and learned the hard way. :eek:
plowboy

Post by plowboy »

There is a schrader valve on the fuel rail. Looks like the top of a tire valve stem. Take the cap off, surround it with a shop rag/towel, insert a small screwdriver and push the valve. This will relieve the pressue off the fuel line.

After you are done, you will need to turn the key on and off a few times to cycle the fuel pump and re-pressureize the system.
Can't think of anything witty, intelligent, or cool to say...guess I'm just stupid.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

on my 86 it was an insert type filter. relieve the pressure, unscrew the bottom of the housing and replace the element. I always just pulled the fuse and let the motor die for one reason...it doesn't leak fuel all over the place.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Dreg

Post by Dreg »

You can always let it sit overnight, it will relieve all the "pressure" by the time you get to it the next day, open the gas cap up too.
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

I presume the filter is diffrerent on an 88 than an 86? The location described above is a fuel pump on my 88. The filter sits farther up stream , nearly under the motor mount in the left frame rail on mine
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

I know Ford FI stuff far more than I know BII or Ranger stuff so if it's fuel injected it should be what I say, if not ignore it

I don't like the idea of running any pump empty, any more than is absolutely necessary so therefore I like relieving the pressure at fuel rail via the Schrader valve. The fuel filter should just have the plastic fittings like in the picture. All you do is pull the white piece out 90* from the fuel line and then pull the line from the filter. You will lose some fluid but it's not hard and only takes a few seconds to swap the filters so the loss is minimal. After installing the filter and clip give it a tug to make sure it's seated all the way.

That said the white piece in the picture is not always white, but it is the same functionally so don't worry if it's a black or some other color it's the same.
Ranger 5.o, needing another project like Rosie O'Donnell needs another M&M.
bones101

Post by bones101 »

They also have another fuel filter near the front of the engine on the left front tire side. If your going to change the filters change them both. When I had my fuel problem it was the front filter that was jacked up.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

the number of filters depends on the year of B2 you have. I have a 89 and it only have one inline below the drivers seat on the frame rail. its connected by the above clips. They are easy to change.
bones101

Post by bones101 »

His is an 86 like mine so it will have two. The filter mounted on the frame rail by the driver door is easiest changed by just unbolting the whole damn housing and taking it of the frame..or altleast it was for me because I couldnt get the damn cap to unscrew. The front filter is a peace of cake. Just make sure that you connect the lines in the rite direction of the filter.
Shemoves

Post by Shemoves »

I've got to do the same thing on an '87 with the 2.9. Wondering if I have one or two filters. Also, any pics of the filter(s) installed?
'87 Bronco II EB