Is anyone using come-alongs?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Bronco19

Is anyone using come-alongs?

Post by Bronco19 »

I was wondering if anyone is using a come-along to retrieve a stuck vehicle from mud or sand. I want to get a real good one, but don't know what pull-rate I need. I'm looking at maasdam strap pullers. One is 1-ton with 25 foot of strap. The other is a 2-ton with 12 foot of strap. Is either of these capable of pulling a 6500 pound vehicle,I.E. a Silverado from the mud? The ones I'm looking at are on www.truckperformance.com. Can anyone say for sure that this is enough pull-rating?

I've already bought one that sucks. From cvfsupplycompany, they said it was 4-ton and the cable "plays out to 11 feet". Well, I got it and it only plays out to 3 feet, becuse it's folded over using a pully. They flat out lied about that. At least it was only $20.
1989 2wd B2 xlt,5-speed,3in body lift,33/12.5" tires,Kenwood system. Future:D35,8.8 ,33/13.5" LTBs, 6" Skyjacker
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Spend your money on a Hi-lift. I've been wheelin for years, and my hi-lift never lets me down. In a jam, you can use it as a winch, and to break down tires.

I bought a come-a-long many years ago, and I never use it. I don't even bring it, and have never missed it.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

I agree 100% with Matt. Between work and play I use my highlift and the come a long sits in the back (remember I wheel a chebby tahoe for work which is at best equal to my b2 in 2hi). :D The highlift always got me unstuck.
LilBronc

Post by LilBronc »

Tractor Supply. 48" Hi-Lift $43. That and a 20K strap, can't go wrong.
WWJD - Wheeling With Jesus Daily
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I have used a come a long to pull motors before and a long time ago to get my friends unstuck, but once I got my high lift that is what I use.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Bronco19

Post by Bronco19 »

Thanks for the advice guys, I have been Eye-balling the Hi-lifts, but wanted something that reached a little longer. Looks like this is the key though! Next pay check I stop by Tractor Supply. I just bought a 20k 30' tow rope, so I guess I need some chain to go with it and I'll be set.

How are ya'll mounting the Hi-lifts on the backs of the B2s next to the spare?
1989 2wd B2 xlt,5-speed,3in body lift,33/12.5" tires,Kenwood system. Future:D35,8.8 ,33/13.5" LTBs, 6" Skyjacker
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I mounted mine on my roof rack. made it my self so I just made it fit.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Bronco19

Got my hi-lift

Post by Bronco19 »

I got my Hi-lift jack today. Now I need ther winching package and I'll be set.

Have you guys ever had anything snap while winching with the hi-lift?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Good choice on the hi-lift, money well spent.

I've only used my hi-lift as a winch one time. While I've never had anything break, you should always assume anything can and will break at any time.

Hi-lifts are nasty buggers. Watch what's happening with that handle at all times. If there's wieght on the jack and you let the handle drop, it will bounce up and knock you silly. Also try to keep your fingers clear of the mechanisms. I use my foot to kick the latch a lot of times.

Vehicles are also very unstable when lifted with a hi-lift. Soooo be carefull!

Otherwise, it's one of best tools you can carry with you on the trail.