Taurus Fan

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
MHHodges11

Taurus Fan

Post by MHHodges11 »

Just a quick comment on the taurus fan talked about in the Shop Talk section. I was interested since I want to go to an electric fan. I did some calling around today and the most expensive fan I found was of the 2 speed type and it was a whole $30. I am definately gonna do it. I just wanted all to know how common and inexpensive this modification can be.
If it has wheels and an engine I can modify it.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Yep, they are a dime a dozen in our yards. Too bad mine doesn't fit.......yet.......

These things draw A LOT of power, so make sure you use heavy guage wire and a heavy duty relays!
MHHodges11

Post by MHHodges11 »

Yeah I was thinking I have some 10 ga wire laying around might be kinda overkill but what the heck I noticed even in my wifes contour they have pretty heavy wiring. ( think she saw me eyeballing it though) probably a bad Idea but I think it would even fit well. Ill have to measure it.
TNMAN

Post by TNMAN »

I installed a Duff radiator on my BroII project and since I put the V8 in, I had very little room inboard to install a fan. I went to the local junk yard and found an elec fan that fits the inside of the rad almost perfectly. The fan and shroud cover every bit of the cooling surface. I used the zip-tie type attachments to hold the fan assembly on . So far it appears to cool. I had to trim off some of the attachment brackets from the fan and trim some material in the area that the trans lines and drain petcock are. The fan is from a .......ugh.......Dodge.....ugh....Spirit....ugh.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I pulled mine from a 88 pulsar :finger:
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

i pulled mine from out of the trunk of a taraus :laugh: .
MHHodges11 Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:06 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I was thinking I have some 10 ga wire laying around might be kinda overkill
i dont think 10 guage will be overkill 10 guage is what i used and it handles the load good. i used a 85A relay so's not to have any archy sparky. ;)
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
broncoo

Post by broncoo »

i belive i read somewhere that the taurus fans draw somewhere in the nieghbor hood of 33amps :eek: thats over half the stock alt's power output

anyone know of a good bolt in alt for the b2 that is say 100-150 amps?
MHHodges11

Post by MHHodges11 »

I know from past experience with Mans necessity for more power, (i.e. Stereos, lighting, etc.) You can get a heavy duty altenator in just about any style. Well anyhow that I my experience. And when all else fails Delco makes a nice internally regulated 100+ altenator (not sure of the exact specs of the top of my head.) I have used it as a swap In old heavy equipment with the old Generators and I have not lost one yet, and we have one with a lighting system that would make most off road enthusiasts drool. (Every winter the operator thinks of where he would like more lights, I pretty much have 360 degrees covered at this point.) A few measurements and a couple custom brackets and away you go.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

when I put in the dual pulsar fans they fit directly inside the core support. I didnt even have to bolt it or weld it in, just notched the core support with the angle grinder and snapped it in place. keeps it 10 degrees then the aftermarket fan I got from autozone.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
plowboy

Post by plowboy »

broncoo wrote: anyone know of a good bolt in alt for the b2 that is say 100-150 amps?

There is an shop here in Indy that will custom wind your alternator if you want more out of it. Not cheap, but not real expensive either. I think it's like $50 more than the cost of a stock alternator.

I'm glad someone brought this up because I was going to, just haven't had time. When I swap my 2.8 I want to go electric fan. Is the Taurus fan the only one that will work? Does anyone have a schematic to do this?
Can't think of anything witty, intelligent, or cool to say...guess I'm just stupid.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

There are a lot of OEM fans out there to choose from. The taurus fan is just one of the best, and it has a low profile. It's also 2 speed...hi/low. Just a few of the reasons it's popular.

More important is a good radiator. A good radiator will get you much farther than a great fan.

I currently run a griffin aluminum radiator and some cheesy junkyard fan. I have absolutely no cooling problems after 3 years. I'd still like to get the taurus fan on, but it doesn't quite fit yet. Hits my water pump.
plowboy

Post by plowboy »

My rad is fine. I have absolutely no cooling problems, in fact I need to put a hotter thermostat in it. I have a blown 2.8 and I have a fresh 2.8 ready to go in. I just thought it might help the overall hp situtation if I used an electric fan instead of the clutch/flex fan.
Can't think of anything witty, intelligent, or cool to say...guess I'm just stupid.