Bronco II Body mount

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
LarryA

Bronco II Body mount

Post by LarryA »

Looking for a place to purchase a new, used, or fabricated left center body mount bracket (current is riveted to frame). I have this a 1990 Bronco II 4WD . This one bracket is rusted out a must be replaced. Can these be purchased or will I need to have it fabricated?
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

i tryed to by one for my 90 from ford,and if you could still buy it from them its $300.I have some of a 88 that i'm scrapping
Last edited by Ranger Dave on Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy_Jack

Post by Happy_Jack »

Or check your local salvage yards.
LarryA

Post by LarryA »

I can get one at the junk yard (there are many of them there) you pull it yourself. I asked about them burning out a frame section to get a mount but they won't because they are affraid it might start a fire in the vehicle. They are real cheap but the problem is I have no idea how to get the thing out there. If I heard correctly, the rivets are not easy to remove without grinding and some drilling to relieve the rivets pressure.
I suppose they don't have much faith in the abitilty of the people to use a torch at the yard.......
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

i grind them off
Image[/img]

bower100

Post by bower100 »

l I made several "mending plates" for the body mounts. The center mount on the left side is where the emergency brake cable attaches as well. In my case, all that was wrong was the hole where the bushing sits was totally rusted out.... the holes was as big as the bushing. I made a 1/4" thick C-shaped bracket that stratled the old one.... it just sat right on top of it and came down on each side about 2 1/2". Pretty sure the "ID" of the "C" shape was 5 5/8"... a nice snug fit over the old one. Drilled two holes on each side "ear" and bolted it on. Only used 1/4" bolts.... does'nt need big bolts 'cause there's no strain.

Now I was custom making bushings too, so I did'nt care my bracket was 1/4" thick, (stock mount is like 1/8"), and that it was gonna make the bushing stand-up taller than a stocker. Plus I was doing both sides, so they'd match anyway. In your case, I'd make it 1/8" and if the old brackets bushing hole is'nt totally rusted out ... bigger than the bushing, I'd enlarge so it is. Then the bushing will just fits the hole in the new bracket.

(I have no idea if you can get a new stock bushing).

If you choose to replace the mount, the rivets are not hardened. I easily drilled them out on another mount. Start with a small bit and work your way up in size. I believe 9/16" finished off the rivet freeing the mounts. Grindings faster though if you have one and can fit the grinding wheel in there. dave
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

Looks like a leaf spring mount, not a body mount. I live in Warshington and not even my 66' chev frame was that rusty. There must be better frames out there. Good luck.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

Looks like a leaf spring mount, not a body mount

that was only to show about grinding off the rivits
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

ranger5.0 wrote:Looks like a leaf spring mount, not a body mount. I live in Warshington and not even my 66' chev frame was that rusty. There must be better frames out there. Good luck.
Looking at that frame, I doubt there are any body mounts remaining !
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

Looking at that frame, I doubt there are any body mounts remaining

and where are YOU from???

the mounts,cab corner,radiator support,floors are solid are on that 86 STX Ranger
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

Ranger Dave wrote:Looking at that frame, I doubt there are any body mounts remaining

and where are YOU from???

the mounts,cab corner,radiator support,floors are solid are on that 86 STX Ranger
Easy Dave, I didn't intend to offend you, I apologize if that's the case. I was just surprised by the condition of the frame in the picture. I am from Washington state, older cars tend to suffer from rust out on the west side of our state. Most of us car types keep an eye out for rust. I spent a summer in Conway, New Hampshire close to Fryeburg, as I remember they used rock salt on the roads there.
LarryA

Post by LarryA »

Had a personal day todat any took a trip to the junk yard. I got a mount bracket. It's not perfect but will work fine. Most were rusted out and I was about to give up when I found this one. Center punched the rivets and drilled them half way through in steps to about 7/16 inch then the heads chiseled off easily. It was much harder at home to get the piece of bolt out and the old bushing off. Guess I should really get a bushing kit now and do all of them.
Thanks for the help.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

musta used a cordless huh
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

rock salt is right :mad2: thats why they call the state trucks SALT SHAKERS.I hardley ever see them with sand
LarryA

Post by LarryA »

Yes Sir. Cordless drill. I love Power Tools!
After getting home and hacking off the old bushing I found that even this bracket was rusted some. I took it along to work and somehow the CNC machine I run, just happened to mill out two perfectly sized holes in pieces of 1/8" steel that fit great on top and uner the bracket. Oh well, no use thowing this out so I had them welded to the bracket. Now stronger than the original. It is 1/8 higher than the original but I doubt that will be a big deal, considering the current bracket is completely rotted out and that bushing has to be 1/2 low......