Pix/ideas for shock mounts

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
TNMAN

Pix/ideas for shock mounts

Post by TNMAN »

The BroIII is almost complete. I need to put some shocks on the front and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or photos of shock mounting/brackets that I could look at. I have leaf springs on the front with a D44 from an F-150. There is plenty of room since I have several inches of axle tube between the knuckle and the spring perches. Any suggestions on where and how to mount the attachment on the frame? Thanks
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Well, the popular thing is using the ford shock towers. I would have, but they were out of stock, so I built my own. At $10ea the ford mounts are well worth it. I can dig up the part number if you are interested. I did here that they are now discontinued now. You should still be able to get them though.

The mounts I made have the shock eye turned 90* from the ford mounts. I just used some 3" channel and capped a few inches at one end. Then used the hardware that came with my 9000's.

TNMAN

Post by TNMAN »

Thanks Matt. I had not thought of using the Ford mounts. I am not sure exactly how to go about mounting them though...since the shocks will have to be at an angle due to the fact that the frame is somewhat narrower than the diffs.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I would bolt them right to the frame, then weld the lower mount where ever it needs to be. I suggest mounting the shock as straight up and down as possible.
TNMAN

Post by TNMAN »

Nobody. I finally got vmy Bilstein 5100's on. I ended up using shock towers from an F-150. I had to cut part of the bootom of the bracket off some since it hung below the bottom of the frame rail. I had to angle the tower toward the rear some because they had to clear the new bump stops I added. I fabbed some mounting tabs to weld onto the axle tubes from some scrap metal in the shop.Thanks for the idea. I will take some pix of this mod and post them here.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Have you taken any pics of that setup yet?
TNMAN

Post by TNMAN »

I will get some pix this weekend. I am taking the BroIII on its first trail ride today.I was quite concerned about the angle the shocks were mounted at,but after driving up on a tree stump,the shocks seemed to work just fine.We shall see for sure today.
b2binbad

Post by b2binbad »

a buddy of mine used f-250 mounts. He got em at the ford dealer for 11 bucks a piece. They're pretty long for longer travel mounts. You could try the hoop for the EB.
You're right, I DON'T understand that Jeep thing ;)