Cheap but good winch

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Michael99

Cheap but good winch

Post by Michael99 »

Last week I bought from Harbor Freight tools a chicago 8000 lb winch and I have read reviews where you either love them or hate them. Well I love it! The winch listed for 399.00 but was on sale for 299 and then I had a coupon for 20% off a single item. I didnt like the 90 day warranty so I bought a 1 year extended warranty and a pair of gloves and the total was like 297 and some change! The winch included a mounting channel, 100ft of 9,000 lb cable and a remote with what looks like about 12 ft of cable plus mounting bolts. I mounted the winch with the channel mount on my custome made bumper using grade 8 bolts (dont want to take any chances!). I took the truck out mudding on Sunday for the first time ever and got stuck in a rut and I hooked up to a pine tree and my tires were all stuck in some nasty looking mud. But I started the winch up and it pulled me out without a problem. I know someone else with one of these winches and he has never had a problem with it. I see all of these folks with these 800 and 900 dollar winches and I think all your paying for is a name. I love my winch and am confident with it especially seeing I have an extended no b/s exchange warranty. I will post some pictures of my new mud toy soon for everyone to see.
bailey

Post by bailey »

I think I read that the HF/Chicago Electric recovery winches are actually rebadged Mile Markers, so they are likely of better quality compared to some of the other Chicago Electric stuff. The only real complaints I've heard is lack speed, and most of us really don't care how fast we get unstuck, as long as we get unstuck.

If it's reliable, it sounds like a very good deal.
1988 B2
d44/9"
tired 2.9L
Michael99

Post by Michael99 »

The winch speed is a little slow but it saved my ass again tonight! They are actually not that dissapointed in the speed of the winch. Sure it is a little slower but like you said all that matters is that it got me out! :D
Michael99

Post by Michael99 »

Anyone else have any opinions for these winches.
85ranger4x4

Post by 85ranger4x4 »

I have had one for ~2 years and its still going strong. Mine is a milemarker. I cut the cable shorter because it used to stack up on long pulls and it actaully broke off the 2 cross bars but it still works just fine.

The whinch is WAY slow compared to the high speed warns, even under load, but it does work and that is what matters to me.
http://groups.msn.com/bellinghamdualsportriders

85 Longbed 4x4
94 4.0L V6, 4.56 welded rear, L/S front, 32" MTRs
RenegadeRon

Post by RenegadeRon »

Hey I am new here, just registered. I have a 1984 BII with a carbed 5.0, C4, Dana 35, 31 spline Explorer 8.8, somewhere around 7" lift.
My brother has a Harbor Freight winch, it seem to work pretty good, with the exception of the flaky switches in the pendant. They only work when they want, gotta fiddle with them, someday we will get around to putting some good ones on there. I am going to buy one, too. Or maybe one from Costco.
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

They are not rebadged anything, they are made to look like Ramsey winches and are similar but not the same. They are made cheap and work but are not fast.
like everything else you get what you pay for and if you need parts you are probably screwed.
Ranger 5.o, needing another project like Rosie O'Donnell needs another M&M.
Michael99

Post by Michael99 »

I guess u gotta do the best you can with the money you have. I dont have to worry about mine though for a whole year after the 90 day warranty since I bought a 1 year no bullshit exchange if it craps out. But I dont have very big mud tires but they do have a lot of tread left on them but that winch has saved my ass a few times now. I went through a mud hole and got stuck about 6 feet in. I wish I had a camera because the hole was deep enough that mud and water started filling up the floor board. The winch pulled me right out even when my inexperience friend who is worries to damn much about flipping and getting a drop of mud on him put the truck in park while winching :mad2: