problem with the oil and gas

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bigdog

problem with the oil and gas

Post by bigdog »

i have a 86 bII its got an oil leak out the intake and gas is in my oil whats up with that? im about to sell it and get a full size its pissin me off :mad2:
lay wib it dont play wib it
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

I can't help ya with your leaky gasket but if you have gas in your oil sounds like a Fuel Pressure Reg has gone gunnybag..
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

ahhh yes..... fuel pressure is requlated by vacuum. Makes sense to me. Good call.
Fishtank

Post by Fishtank »

Yea, my 86 bronco 2 has random leaks to. There is this little leak dection you can get from autozone that makes it easy to find exactly the leak is coming from, its like a uv light with glasses, its sposed to work good from what ive heard.
86 Bronco II
30'' All Country Radials
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

UV Light testing For Oil Leaks. copyright 2006 by Rip Van Winkle

I was looking to find an oil leak in my mustang recently. I did not want to pay a fortune for an "Official UV" light so here is what I did. Total cost was about 7 bucks for the light and UV dye for the oil.

Here is what I have done:

I went to NAPA and got the tiny bottle of dye for the oil. I think the dye was about 3 bucks.
I then went to my local Fred Meyer store light bulb display. I purchased two bulbs to test for this. Bulb 1 was an incandescent Black Light bulb I think it was 100W maybe slightly smaller. Bulb 2 was a Low energy fluorescent Black Light bulb that replaces the incandescent bulb.

Here is where I added an extra step. You may choose to omit this step. I wanted to clean up a filthy engine compartment, so I drove the car to a local steam cleaner Expert. When he was done I dumped the contents of the tiny bottle of oil dye in to the oil filler tube. I drove the car back home about 6 or 7 miles.

I used the incandescent bulb first. Looking topside I could see some weepage around the valve covers. Looking underneath I saw dyed oil everywhere. It glowed like a nuclear reactor.. I determined the pan gasket is leaking. Man was it ever leaking!

I used the fluorescent bulb next. It was noticeably brighter and had a bit more contrast between dye and surface. I wasn't surprised as back in the 70s black lights were all the rage. Fluorescent was the best then and is now in my opinion.

I will add a couple of notes here. I tested each bulb with a 5-inch reflector clamp light housing I got it at Fred’s earlier for a different project.

I tested the car in my shop, which I can get pretty dark cause of no windows. In that type of environment I had NO problems seeing the dye trail.
I did not think to try my laser enhancement glasses. You know the type; they look like stupid yellow sunglasses.
Also remember I did NOT try this in a daylight type environment.

As I said the bulbs were cheep -$ the dye was cheep -$ this was my first experiment at using a "Homade" UV light!

Try it you might like it.....
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
marinebroncoii

Post by marinebroncoii »

I would also keep the fuel pump in mind. If all the easy stuff doesn't work to keep fuel out of your oil a bad fuel pump will let fuel leak into the oil.
8-9" susp, 3" body lift, 39.5x16 TRXUS STS, 342 stroker, C6, NP205, D44HD mini spool-coil sprung, D60 limited slip, 4.88s