4x4

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bigdog

4x4

Post by bigdog »

how hard would it be to change a push botton 4x4 to a manual shifter
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Unfortunately, you'll have to swap out the transfercase completely. Overall it would be pretty easy.

Unless you're having problems with the push button, I wouldn't bother.
bigdog

Post by bigdog »

ya i am havin problem with it, it is goin in to 4x4 but it aint showin low or hi i drive a 86 BII but i got a 84 BII manual 4x4 it needs a trans so im thankin bout swapin my trans to that one is that a good idea
85ranger4x4

Post by 85ranger4x4 »

If you have a manual shift T case and the shift linkage and boot and all then its really just a matter of cutting a hole in your floor. If you don't have the boot then you will need to find one or you will have lots of air coming in throuh your floor (trust me on that one)

Another thing to consider is that the older (manual) Tcases sometimes had differnt driveshafts so you will have to see if the flanges match up or if you will have to dome something to get your driveshafts to bolt up.
http://groups.msn.com/bellinghamdualsportriders

85 Longbed 4x4
94 4.0L V6, 4.56 welded rear, L/S front, 32" MTRs
85ranger4x4

Post by 85ranger4x4 »

silly question...Is it going between HI and LOW when you want it to but its just not showing on the dash? If so maybe check the bulb in the dash. If the transfer case is working properly it would be a lot easier to just replace a switch for the light, or a light bulb, or just not look at it.

85 Longbed 4x4
bigdog

Post by bigdog »

silly ? well sorry for askin you dude ive checked the bulb and it is the chip in under the bulb :flipoff: lol
85ranger4x4

Post by 85ranger4x4 »

I was saying my question about the bulb was silly so :finger: right back at ya

85 Longbed 4x4
bigdog

Post by bigdog »

lol ok well there is another guy askin somethin like this what about changing the trans case and put the shifter in the floor is that goin to take alot time and money that aint worth it???
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

If the decision concerning Transfer Cases were up to me, I would use a manual case. If your trying to decide which is better the manual is.

The electric T case shifts via an electrical motor mounted on the outside of the case. 99% of shifting and not shifting problems are due to this motor. Not a bad design for street use but not for any serious off road. With that motor hanging out there it is exposed to more rocks, dirt and mud and water than street use.

The other downside is the auto hubs that usually accompany this Tcase. The auto hubs are JUNK best to swap in some manual hubs.

I probably missed the point but NO electric!!!!! To convert to manual is not a big deal but as earlier mentioned you may have to change both driveshafts.

Anyway have fun. That's my answer and I am sticking to it!
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
bigdog

Post by bigdog »

hey man that sounds good to me thanks for the time
bigdog

Post by bigdog »

what about a rusted top i got one its weak in spots do it my self ???????
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

bigdog wrote:what about a rusted top i got one its weak in spots do it my self ???????
Ahhh Can we say Sawzall....
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
OffroadBEAR

Post by OffroadBEAR »

Drain the t-case first if you are hellbent on swapping (The electric has never failed me). If you are big and burly, don't waste your time with a tranny jack, just be prepared for about a 70 lb bench press at a very awkward angle, I just benchpressed mine onto the output shaft and the alignment dowel, held it close with one hand and screwed on a bolt with the other. If you have big enough tires (235/75 or larger), you won't even have to jack it up. Oh yeah, and drain the transmission fluid, it stinks like ass if it gets on your clothes and it will come pouring out when the t-case comes off if you don't drain it.

Paul
88 BII XLT 2.9/5spd/4x4 Lemans 31x10.5s