84 BII Clutch problems

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
84BII33s

84 BII Clutch problems

Post by 84BII33s »

I have an '84 Bronco II with a toyo kyogo 4-speed that won't shift into gear. The clutch hydraulic line was found to be empty. I check it once a month so it happened suddenly. I tried to refill the line so I could look for a leak but I can't pump the fluid past the master cylinder. I have little experience with automechanics so my questions are:

How do I bleed the clutch line? I didn't find a bleed screw on the slave cylinder.

The hydraulic line is made of a pre-formed, red colored hard plastic. If the line is cracked, should I just replace it with a rubber line?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I know that hte bleed screw was on the top of the tranny for my 86. what might be happening is your slave might be leaking inside the bell housing. is there any oil comming out of the bottom of the bell?
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I think the TK4 has an external slave. There should be an allen screw on top of the slave cylinder for bleeding, next to where the line goes in.

Bleeding the clutch is a pita. If you have an external slave,

- take it off the transmission and let it hang.
-pump the master cylinder very slowly until the pushrod on the slave is pushed all the way out.
- open the bleeder screw on the slave
- pump the master very slowly until fuild comes out the bleeder.
- with the bleeder still open push the pushrod in and hold, then close the bleeder

- reinstall into transmission
- Have a 2nd person pump the clutch slowly a few times and hold
- crack the bleeder until a fluid starts to squirt, then quickly close.
- repeat untill you are satisified there is no air in the system and the transmission shifts into gear normally.
Note: if it is being particularly stubborn, sometimes it helps to let them sit a few minutes so the air can settle.

Of course first you need to find what is leaking. My quess is the slave cylinder, but it could be the master or the line. Look under the dash where the clutch rod goes into the master at the firewall. You may find it leaking there. When you pull the slave, a leak may be ovbious, as the leak will occur on the inside of the bellhousing.

The lines are pretty tough. Usually the only thing that happens to the line is it gets melted on the exhaust.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Bleeding the clutch on one of these beasties can be a trying exp in frustration.

I read a shop procedure somewhere where the front of the vehicle is raised to get that damn master cyl somewhat level for bleeding.. Ford recomends presure bleeding. I have found that is the best way to go.

If you are sucessfull at bleeding the system and you still can't get the rig in gear then, I think your clutch is toast!

I owned an 84 and when I bought it the guy said he couldn't get it into gear. He thought the trans was bad. I knew the trans was good so I bought the truck from him, put in a new disk, flywheel, and presure plate (truck was original with 120K on the clock).
:wtf: After I replaced the clutch parts, At first I had no pedel and spent untold hours and about a gallon of fluid on the floor looking up. :flipoff: After cleaning up the mess I finally broke down and bought a power bleeder and within 5 minutes had the sys bled and clutch functioning corectly. :cool:

I hope for your sake it just needs to be bled. :idea:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
84BII33s

Post by 84BII33s »

Thanks for all the advice. It was the slave cylinder alright. As "Nobody" said there was an allen screw on top of the slave cylinder. It was just filled in with years of crud so it escaped my detection.

I installed a new slave cylinder but the truck only wants to go in reverse just like before. I'm guessing the clutch burned up on the last drive.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

if you can get a gear I would say that the trans is bad. They are known for locking up in a gear when they are bad
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.