Tell me about your rear end

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
hammer back

Re: Tell me about your rear end

Post by hammer back »

i hate to jump in on your posts but when you do all this rearend swap what about the gearing in the transfercase and front end also whats a good place to start with the frontend to make it stronger does it matter what exactly has to happen for all this to work if thats not too much to ask thanks wes
no v8? why drive?

Re: Tell me about your rear end

Post by no v8? why drive? »

You can find 8.8's with the most of the same gearing options as 7.5's. Crawl under your track and check the rear end tag on one of the cover bolts to see what the gearing is in your current axles. Then just find an 8.8 with the same gearing. If you are going to upgrade the front dana 28 for a dana 35 as well (which is basically a bolt in minus driveshaft changes) then you can change the gearing as long as the dana 35 matches the 8.8 you put in the back. 3.73 is one of the most common ratios in 91-94 exploders. If you have 3.08 or something now it would be worth looking for 3.73s. 4.10s are pretty rare but occasionally show up in yards. Just find a lower mileage '91-'94 explorer/navajo and pull the front dana 35 and rear 8.8 and you will be set for anything you could do with a 2.8/2.9/4.0 engine. Transfer case gearing is independent of the axles and you dont have many choices for factory cases.
87 4X4 Ranger 306ci AOD NP205 fw d44/8.8 5.13s
94 4x4 Navajo 8" lift