302 Motor incline/decline questions

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
TC

302 Motor incline/decline questions

Post by TC »

Hey everyone,
4 months later I am 7 bolts further on my BII conversion project. The 7 bellhousing bolts. So, after rebuilding the transmission (redneck style) on the dining room table it is finally making love to the engine. Driving 4 hours to work on it is the pitts.

So, when I drop in the engine and tranny with a mount, the engine still has a pretty significant slant towards the back of the rig. I've seen others that have the same rake, but a few people have said that it is bad to have an angle like that and that it should be as level as possible.
I have a 3" body lift, AA motor mounts, with a C4 tranny.

Is it okay to have the angle? Does it need to be raised? Any ideas to raise it up besides drilling higher transmission mount holes?
tekatlarge

trans to rear end angle

Post by tekatlarge »

Hi there TC,

First let me introduce myself. I am the Tekatlarge! I use to be on line here a long time ago. Well??? I'm Back!!!! I thought I would say hello to you and everyone else.

I have heard from some very unreliable (g) sources that if you use the JD mounts there is a lot of tilt in the motor. I know of one person that fabbed up his own mounts. His engine sets real level although I think it still tilts some it looks pretty good. The motor mounts were simple as can be and very inexpensive.

Being completely flat is not the correct answer either. The most important thing to do is match the engine/trans angle to the same parallel line as the rear end.
This is a little hard to explain but try this. Measure the pinion angle of your rear end with your rig setting level (at ride height) with all four down.

The pinion should have a small amount of positive or up angle. Once you determine how many degrees up then you just match the angle with the engine trans combo.

I have not seen AA mounts so can't comment on them but usually when building up mounts you first set the engine at the correct angle and then fab the mounts to the engine. (Builders preferences) Did you get any info from AA? Maybe they have some secret way to set it up to.

At any rate I hope this helped ya out ..Later On
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
TC

Post by TC »

I put in the stock trans mount, and just piled up some huge washers until there wasn't much extra bolt left.
Stay off the pipe, don't forget to wipe.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

You should tack weld the stack of washers so the don't move around for safety.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
TC

Post by TC »

I got them so the bolts fit pretty snug, but good advise nonetheless.
Stay off the pipe, don't forget to wipe.