thought of this today...

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
DBrown

thought of this today...

Post by DBrown »

I was thinking of ways to set up my rear suspension today and I thought I would run this by y'all.

I have a full width 9" and an extra set of radius arms from a D44. I was thinking about welding the duff weld on wedges to the 9" and using some coil buckets out of a 68 F100 to set up the rear just like the front is going to be. have any of yall thought of this?

I have the housings laying out back but I haven't measured the diameter of them yet to see if they are close or not.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

im not expert by any means, but it should work. Im guessing you wouldnt get as much travel as a 4 link rear, but it should be better then a leaf rear. Im interested in your project. Good luck. You might want to post at Pirate and see if any of those crazy guys have tried it.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

The topic has come up a few times on Pirate. I don't think running a rear wristed arm would be a good idea. Since only one arm is keeping the axle wrap under control.

I have my concerns about a coil rear suspension. My friend Steve linked his EB, and has rolled twice since going to coils. Coincidence maybe, but I think there might be more to it. It might just be that his coils are too soft. He's still tuning it.

The last trip out, he also got hung up on one of his link bars. It was kind of an uncommon situation, but if he had rear leafs, he would have slipped on through.

I think if you are going to the trouble of switching to a coil rear, you'd be better off going with a 4 link.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

well, this will all start probably near the end of the summer. turkey bay is right around the corner and I still need tio get the tow rig ready.
do you think think axle wrap will be that big of an issue with it not on the road, only trail use?
also what if you rigged up a shock on the axle housing mounting to the radius arm to help control the axle more?
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

i dont think you'll have a bad time with axle wrap. i've seen a couple of rig's use the ford radius arm's as track bars. my concern would be that you'll have to run a cross bar to keep the radius arm's from bending and that suck's. also you might want to look into heims for the ends of your radius arm's to alow for more play if you decide to go that way. other than that i think it would work. just my 2 cent's
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

im going to run a three link in the rear but with my own custom arms. I like the idea of coils all around for better departure angle because i hit my shackles all the time and for no more axle wrap.