Tranny out need advice

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Wicked Bronco II

Tranny out need advice

Post by Wicked Bronco II »

I need to know the cheapest and best solution for my problem. I have a 92 4.0. The old Tranny is the FM146 is it the cheapest or is there a cheaper one that will fit.
Thanks for the input.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

are you sure that is not the M50D? I was understanding it that that was the only manual trans that ford put behind the 4.0L. if you do not have the M50D I would replace it with that. the other trans are not really designed to hold the torque that the 4.0L will put out.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Generally, I'd have to recommend finding a used tranny. Which is sometimes hard to do. For the price of a complete rebuild, you could be well on your way to bigger and better.

However, if you have no plans for any major upgrades, and plan on keeping your rig, then you might as well bite the bullet and do the rebuild.

I don't really know anything about the 4.0L trannys, but all the BII trannys were junk.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

I think that is the Mitsubishi tranny, which is a decent tranny for the 2.9L but not that great for the stronger 4.0L. I would either find a 5 speed for the 4.0 or upgrade to V8. You will be money ahead.
Exhauster

Post by Exhauster »

the fm146 in my 86 has gone through a whole bunch of hard miles (240k) and is still performing perfectly.... if that's junk, what will a good trans do
Give a call for a special price on brake or exhaust work Exhaust Tech 253-333-7200
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

the fm146 in the 86 is behind a 2.9, that is the difference.

2.9L = 140hp 170ft/lbs of torque
4.0L = 170hp 220ft/lbs of torque

the m50d is the strongest manual tranny that was made for the ranger/BII. that is what they put behind the 4.0L from the factory. my truck was working on its 3rd tranny when I junked everything but it really depends on the driver. I used the fm146 behind the 4.0L for about 1-1/2 years before I scraped everything and it was still running strong.

Exhauster

Post by Exhauster »

we're missing the question here... he asked for the cheapest solution that will work.... that is going with the fm146. keep in mind that it was designed for a smaller motor. the m5od i had lined up for my bronco turned out to be toast.... i opened it up because it felt funny turning it and the bearings are shot and the syncros are damaged from the shafts being loose. 98k on the clock and the lube was full and clean. i did notice some debris in the plastic oil cup which had it plugged
Give a call for a special price on brake or exhaust work Exhaust Tech 253-333-7200
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

the problem is you are looking at "initial cost" instead of "life cost"

when it comes down to it he might spend $50-$100 more on a tranny for the m50d but it will handle the 4.0L more effectively. ie. not breaking because of driving habits. the m50d came in two versions one is for the SBF and one is for the v6. from what I am understanding from all the info out there on these tranny's they are pretty much the same internal design with a different casing, and no removable bellhousing. putting another fm146 behind a 4.0L when it has already failed would be like shooting yourself in the foot. I ran one but I knew the possiblity of failure and it was only planning on getting me threw untill I could find a m50d. then I stumbled upon the setup I am running now and junked the whole idea.

to make this a shorter post I will say yes the fm146 will be a cheap fix but not a long lasting one. honestly if you are talking about cheap, swapping to a 302/np435/205 is cheaper then buying a new fm146.

Exhauster

Post by Exhauster »

around here a fm146 can be had from pull-a-part for $60. a m5od is gold plated.... boneyards want $600-$800 for a hopefully good one.... so it's a no brainer which one i'd go with.... then, like you, when a m5od came along reasonable i'd grab it up
NMB2

Post by NMB2 »

the best manual you are going to be able to find for that bolt pattern is the TK4/TK5 used in earlier rangers and bronco II's. unfortunatly they are getting harder and harder to find...as far as M5OD just go to a pull and save..they are easy to find.
i wish my lawn was emo...so it'd cut itself.